Oh, how lovely Sunday breakfasts can be, when you have the time to really enjoy the day. While you are slowly getting ready for the day, you finally have time to enjoy a long and wholesome first meal. And with that comes tofu scramble.
For those people who usually have breakfast fried egg in their routine, the tofu scramble can be a very nice and light Cholesterol free alternative.
You can even make that stuff taste like egg, if you have some kala namak salt. Kala namak contains high amounts of sulfur, which is causing the typical smell and taste of eggs.
Combined with some bread and fresh vegetables, you can let your scramble be a rich addition to your wholesome breakfast.
How to make tofu scramble
For a good scramble I recommend using a medium to firm tofu. Rinse and pat it dry with a paper towel. Optionally, press some more water out by squeezing it between cutting boards.
Now crumble the tofu apart. You can use a fork to make small crumbles fast. Add turmeric for colouring, salt, pepper and cumin for flavour. Chop some vegetables of your choice and mix them well with the tofu.
Heat up some oil in a pan and fry the tofu on medium high heat. Stir from time to time, but also give the tofu some time to rest. We want it to catch up some of that sweet Maillard reaction and brown up.
Finally, add some freshly chopped herbs like parsley or basil and the dish is complete. Serve the tofu scramble on bread rolls or as a side.
Making the scramble more sticky
If you like your tofu scramble a bit more sticky, then you have several options. First, add a splash of plant based drink to the pan, after you created a good roast. If you want it to become a bit more gooey, you can mix in some cornstarch to the soy milk prior to adding it to the pan. After a while it will soak up much of the liquid and sticks everything together.
- 400 g Tofu Firm
- 1 Onion
- 1 Tomato
- 50 g Mushrooms
Spices and Oi
- 2 tbsp Canola Oil
- Salt and Pepper
- 3 pinches Parsley chopped
- 2 tsp Tumeric
- 1 tsp Cumin
- 1 pinch Kala Namak
- Rinse a tofu and pat it dry with some kitchen paper. Press some more water out of it with the use of two cutting boards pressed together. Move the tofu into a bowl and crumble it with your hands.Cut the onion into small bits, press the garlic and slice the mushrooms.
- Mix the spices and the oil with the tofu and mix well. Then, add the veggies.Heat a pan and fry the tofu. Stir occasionally, let the tofu get some color while resting. But don't burn it.After 5 minutes it should be done.
- (Optional): After frying add some kala namak to give it an egg taste. But be very careful, this stuff is quite potent. Add it little by little.
- Garnish with some freshly chopped parsley and you're done!Enjoy the scrambled tofu as a side, or put it onto a bread roll, combined with some hummus, margarine, spread… whatever you love!